Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Difference of Opinion

The last few days I've been reading a book by John Stossel.  It's title: Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity ... Get Out the Shovel - Why Everything You Know is Wrong (2006),  Needless to say, the title grabbed my attention.

I like reading both fiction and non-fiction.  However, the non-fiction goes down better when given with a dose of humor.  Writers don't need to take themselves so seriously they become boring.  I like reading books by authors of various persuasions, but I have found that conservatives seem to have more humor.  I mean, look at the title.

Stossel identifies himself as a libertarian (I don't hold that against him), so he definitely has the view that government is more the problem than the solution in most things.  The older I get, the more inclined I am to lean in that direction in my thinking, but I'm not into identifying myself into a particular party or view.

No, it's more fun to read a variety of views, then decide where I agree with them and where I do not.  We all need that.  Lord protect me from those who are so set in their political views that you can not have even a fun conversation about any aspect of politics without getting into a battle.

That's certainly one aspect I like about my family.  We may not always agree on all that goes on (and we absolutely do not), but we can make mock of the other's views without damage to the family structure.  I believe that's because we all respect each other's right to be wrong, as my grandfather was said to have declared on more than one occasion. 

I'll close with a couple of my favorite quotes on politics.

     There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please.  And with it
     comes the only basic duty, the duty to take the consequences.  -  P. J. O'Rourke

     Isn't allowing people a choice what America is all about?  -  John Stossel

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book.
    I was having a discussion this week, where my views were the polar opposite of the other persons. They were getting quite upset because they couldn't talk me round, which was silly. I like your grandfather's way of thinking, it saves getting stressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame folks can't agree to disagree and have a friendly conversation without the need to convince the other how wrong they are. There is so much of interest in the world, and it would be fun to have a good discussion on a variety of subjects. Glad you stopped by. - Karen

      Delete
  2. Loved this: "you can not have even a fun conversation about any aspect of politics without getting into a battle" with those who are set in their ways politically.
    You are so right, Karen. No one agrees with everything (politically) that someone else believes. That doesn't mean that they can't converse about it. You are spot on, my friend.
    It's so good to be back here. I've missed you. Thank you for the kind comment on my blog. I left a reply to you over there. I truly appreciate your dedication to being such a wonderful blogging friend.
    Hugs and love to you, Karen.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you back, Jackie. And always glad to have your input into any conversation that may arise. Happy talking. - Karen

      Delete