Monday, November 17, 2014

Fire House Wieners



                            (from my unpublished cookbook Fighting Fires and Feeding Firefighters)

 
    
 
 
Ingredients:  1 can (14 1/2 oz.) stewed tomatoes     2 or 3 heaping Tbsp. salsa
                      1/2 pound wieners                              black pepper to taste
 
To prepare:  Put tomatoes and salsa into saucepan.  I use salsa strength preferred by the family.  Add pepper to taste.  Bring to boil over medium flame and let simmer for about 10 minutes.  Cut wieners
into about 1/2 " lengths.  Add wieners to tomatoes and cover.  Continue cooking until wieners are nice and plump, about 10 minutes.  Serves 2 or 3 people.  Serve with cheese toast.
 
* * * * * * *
                     
City Ordinance, Little Rock, Arkansas, 1866:
     The Fire Engineer in command was given the authority to direct the hook and ladder men to cut down and remove any building, erection or fence, for the purpose of checking the progress of the fire.  With the advice and agreement of two City Aldermen, the Engineer is also given the power to blow up and building or erection during the progress of a fire for the purpose of extinguishing the fire.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This looks delish....and simple enough that even I can fix it!!
    :)
    Hello, Karen. I've been absent from blogland for a while, but I always want to come here and visit you....read your work....and hopefully, leave you with a smile.
    Sending you hugs and smiles, my friend.
    Always,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad to have you back, Jackie. You do make me smile and for that I am grateful. Can't have too much of that in life. - Karen

      Delete