Monday, June 15, 2015

Am I Old Yet?

A lot of folks ask the question, "When do you get old?"

The answer is - Darned if I know.

Like most folks in the world, I feel a lot younger than I actually am in years.  I read once that as long as the health is strong, most people feel like they reside in their 30's.  That makes sense.  Age is not something you give a lot of thought to when you have only a few years behind you and infinity ahead of you.

But slowly over time your body follows its own path.  Then one day you take a good look in the mirror and realize you are getting a strong resemblance to a parent.  You see it around the eyes, in the jawline, in your hairline.  And the body plays tricks on you.  All of a sudden the knees start creaking, the legs get tired, the energy level takes a hike.  You start to consider the possibility that age may be becoming more than a visitor, but actually striving to establish itself as an uninvited resident of your body.

You might not be able to stop the progress to actually feeling your true age, but that doesn't mean you have to go down without a fight.  You might be a 90 year old woman in a wheelchair, but you can still dream of when you were 18, dressed up for a night on the town, wearing that oh-so-fine red dancing dress and high heel shoes, strutting your fine self in front of a room full of admirers.

As long as you can see that in your mind, can feel it in your soul, then, honey, you're not old yet.




3 comments:

  1. You've been sneaking a peek into my mind, haven't you Karen?
    My thoughts exactly!
    And....I find myself looking in the mirror and seeing my Mom. Amazing, isn't it!
    Love you.....and staying young at heart with you!
    Always,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thank you, Jackie, for being a part of my life. Though we've never met, I do consider you to be a kindred soul. Live well and prosper. - Karen

      Delete
    2. Love my blogging friend....

      Delete