Monday, January 26, 2015

Symbiosis



A symbiotic relationship is one in which two entities are so wrapped up in each other that neither one can function independently.  I think this is  perfect representation of  this situation.

I like things that are bit unusual.  I found this cypress root that was exposed when exploring a problem with water pipes caused by roots invading an area.  It "spoke" to me, crying out for me to pick it up and take it home.  How could I say No to such pleading eyes.

I took it home, cleaned it up, let it dry awhile, then set to sanding it down.  When finally satisfied with the end product I then applied several coats of polyurethane.  I'm not sure exactly how many coats, but I'm sure it was at least fifteen.  The final piece is about 10 inches tall.  I still enjoy looking at it all these many years later.

Not everyone enjoys the unusual as much as I do, but that's okay.  I respect their opinions, but it doesn't change how I feel about this particular piece.

How do you feel about the unusual?  I'd love for you to share your thoughts.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment